Tuesday, December 13, 2011

My Favorite Spiritual Songs

I have my last exam tomorrow (yay), so I have to study all day today. That means I won’t be doing the post I intended for this week. I decided to do the one I had mostly done already instead; the one that was requested. Caveat: I’m no music snob, so I can’t promise this list has good music on it or that the hipsters will be pleased. But these are the remotely spiritual songs that have stuck with me. Lyrics are more important to me than most other things.

  • Vice Verses- Switchfoot. Actually, anything by them. The Beautiful Letdown has great words for a Christian and Sing It Out is gorgeous. I already mentioned “Afterlife”. Switchfoot is best for its lyrics, which just nail the human experience on the head 99% of the time without shoving "Jesuses per minute" down your throat. I know agnostics who like this band. The lyrics don't hold spiritual punches and are clearly shaped by the Bible, but the music is inclusive.
  • Overjoyed- Jars of Clay
  • Faithful to Me- Jennifer Knapp
  • No Regrets- Jennifer Knapp
  • Somebody’s Baby- Jon Foreman (Resurrect Me and Your Love is Strong)
  • When Love Sees You- Mac Powell
  • Lose My Soul- Toby Mac
  • Wake Up Love- Melanie Penn
  • Who is Like You?- Meredith Andrews
  • White Man- Michael Gungor Band
  • Constance- Mr. J. Madeiros
  • Take Me As I Am- Lecrae
  • In the Words of Satan- The Arrows
  • All These Things I’ve Done- The Killers
  • Ain’t No Grave- Johnny Cash
  • It Must Be You- Bart Millard
  • Rise Up- Ben Shive
  • Bend- Brandon Heath
  • Breathe Me- Sia
  • Mercy on Me- Christina Aguilera
  • Love is a Fast Song- Copeland
  • Everything- Lifehouse
  • In the Light- DC Talk
  • The General- Dispatch
  • Shake It Out- Florence and the Machine
  • Grace By Which I Stand- Keith Green
  • God Is God- Steven Curtis Chapman
  • Who Am I?- Flyleaf (Also: Arise, Fully Alive)
  • Now We Are Free- Gladiator soundtrack
  • The Les Miserables Soundtrack
  • Like an Avalanche- Hillsong United
  • Code Name: Raven- House of Heroes
  • Glittering Clouds- Imogen Heap
  • Viva La Vida- Coldplay
  • On My Knees- Jaci Velasquez
  • Chaos- Mute Math (also: You Are Mine, Noticed)
  • Welcome to the Black Parade- My Chemical Romance
  • In Christ Alone- Natalie Grant
  • Redeemer- Nicole C Mullen
  • Truly Amazing- POD
  • My Heart- Paramore
  • Through Heaven’s Eyes- The Prince of Egypt soundtrack
  • Hero- Regina Spektor (also: The Call, Human of the Year)
  • Whatever You’re Doing- Sanctus Real (this is a sound I usually don't care for. I don't like the guy's voice and it sounds like too much other contemporary Christian music. But the words are cool)
  • Painting Pictures of Egypt- Sara Groves
  • Birthright- Sleeping at Last
  • Stand- Susan Ashton
  • Love Reign O’er Me- The Who
  • I Still Haven’t Found What I’m Looking for- U2. Lots of people take this song as a diss. Like Bono knows God, but that still isn’t enough and he’s looking for more. I take it as awesome, because, the way I take it, as great as what we get to see here, what we are really looking for is coming up. It’s hopeful. (also: Gloria)
  • Show Me Your Glory- Third Day (also: Love Song and It’s Alright)
  • Your Great Name- Natalie Grant
  • C.S. Lewis Song- Brooke Fraser
  • Flags- Brooke Fraser

The “so bad they are legendary”category: The Trumpet of Jesus- The Imperials, The Champion- Carmen
-These songs are hilarious. I once met someone who told me that his church made him be in a “The Champion” skit once. I asked him if there was a video. Sadly, there was not. But if you’ve heard the song, you can imagine.

What are yours? I'm always looking for music to download.

3 comments:

  1. Les Mis is the gold standard for this type of music; for me, it's the LOST of the category.

    A couple of others that you might not know:

    Rock:

    Jacob's Ladder (song) by Rush
    Scenes from a Memory by Dream Theater (my favorite rock album of all time).

    Classical:

    Adagio for Strings by Samuel Barber
    Symphony No.9 "Choral" by Beethoven
    Symphony No. 1 "Titan" by Mahler
    Missa Solemnis by Beethoven
    Mass in C Minor by Mozart

    Wishing you luck on your finals!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've spent my morning listening through this list, you've got quite a diverse taste in music! I've found a few bands that I'll further check out, thanks.

    I've found that it was surprisingly hard narrowing down my favourite tracks from different artists, so this may be a long one. Anyways, these are the recommendations that I had:

    Barlow Girl - One More Round (also My God's Enough)

    Fireflight - For Those Who Wait (also Unbreakable)

    HB - God Has All Glory (also Be Aware, The Jesus Metal Explosion and the lyrics from Frozen Inside. Their songs in their native language (Finnish?), such as Hanki Elämä, are pretty good as well)

    The Letter Black - The Best of Me (also There'll Come a Day and Hanging on by a Thread)

    Newsboys - Born Again

    Random Eyes - Living For Tomorrow

    Rebecca St. James - God Help Me

    Scandinavian Metal Praise - When the Spirit of the Lord

    Skillet - Comatose (also Falling Inside the Black and, well, pretty much any song from the album Comatose)

    Superchick - Beauty From Pain

    Switchfoot - Free

    Thousand Foot Krutch - Already Home

    Trans-Siberian Orchestra - Christmas Eve / Sarajevo (I'm cheating with this one as the band isn't Christian, but plays Christmas carols in a rock opera style. Also Dwight played this song on the recent Christmas episode of the Office)

    And a few thoughts I had from your list:

    The Arrows - In the Words (Of Satan), I didn't initially like this song, it's not really to my taste in music, though it grew on me a bit by the time the song had ended. Might take a few more listens to make up my mind about it.

    The Killers - All These Things I've Done: It's been a while since I've heard this song. Reminds me of a concert by Bill Bailey where he replaced the lyrics to "I've got ham but I'm not a hamster".

    Flyleaf - Who Am I?: How did I not have this song?! If you hadn't listed it I doubt I'd ever have heard it, I assumed I had all their songs already. This alone more than made your
    post worth it for me.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It took me a really long time to listen to all the songs you guys recommended, but it was worth it. I can honestly say that there wasn't one I didn't like. Thanks so much!

    I've got ham, but I'm not a hamster. LOL.

    ReplyDelete