Wednesday, August 22, 2012

Cycles, good and bad, are hard to break


I’m currently reading The God Delusion by Richard Dawkins. He’s funny, if you don’t get offended by arrogance, sarcasm, overly pretentious writing, and the mocking of religion. I really don’t. So far, it’s making me understand the thought processes behind being an atheist and why some feel so threatened and annoyed when exposed to religion. I agree with him that there’s no such thing as a “Christian child.” They aren’t old enough to make that decision yet. As for raising your child Christian being child abuse? Naw. It’s the sort of thing you can reject as soon as your teens, if you want to. 

I think it’s good because it helps you understand religions people, religion, and why anyone would even think in spiritual terms. It gives you the option to be spiritual. The people I know who were raised agnostic don’t even think about it or analyze those big questions much. They don’t know it’s something to think about. I’d rather open that door to my kids. Do I recommend Christians read books like this? Absolutely, but only if they've studied the Bible and books written by Christians first so that they aren't swayed by the weakest arguments from the other side. If you have a good foundation, you can learn something and become stronger in your own faith.

I’m a good ways in, and so far I still believe in God. Should this belief be altered, it will probably affect this blog, so that’s a heads up. Unlikely though. As Socrates said, “It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it.” And, well, I went to school. It’s fun to have a mental dialogue with the guy though. I don’t argue with actual atheists because they tend to get upset and think I'm trying to convert them. Everyone knows an argument usually doesn't convert anyone to another way of thinking. So I get all my arguing out in my imagination. It’s a fun mind game. If he has a good point or is able to sway me, I want to know. It’s better to know a cold, hard truth that would destroy you than to live for a lie. So far, he’s debunked the lousiest arguments for the existence of God. Good job, pick better ones next time. Dawkins has really sparked my interest in physics though, weirdly. Especially since he’s a biologist.

Genesis 26 is not a popular or controversial passage. We see repetition, the same promises, and some of the same sins and conflicts as in previous chapters. There was a famine in the land and Isaac went to Abimelek, the Philistine king. The Lord appeared to Isaac and told him not to go live in Egypt, but to stay in the land God wanted him to live in. God repeats the big promise, saying, “Through your offspring all nations on earth will be blessed because Abraham obeyed me.” Abraham wasn’t always obedient, but he did have faith, therefore he was declared righteous. Isaac follows his father’s example both in faith/following God and occasionally stumbling. 

As a commenter observed, lies run in this family. It’s a great family of faith and blessing, but man, they can’t stop deceiving. Isaac was asked about his beautiful wife, Rebekah, and he went for his dad’s standby lie: “She is my sister.” Abimelek saw Isaac caressing Rebekah and called him on it. The King James Version said Abimelek saw Isaac “sporting” with Rebekah. So we have absolutely no idea what the king actually saw them doing, and who really wants to know anyway? It wasn’t platonic, that’s for sure. Isaac came clean and Abimelek was upset. Abimelek ordered his people not to harm Isaac or Rebekah, on penalty of death. Problem solved. 

The Lord blessed Isaac with a really good crop that year. He became rich and envied by the Philistines, so he had to move. Eventually, the pagans saw that God blessed Isaac and decided it would be smart to make a peace treaty with him. Esau got married at age 40 to a woman named Judith (did you know that was a Biblical name?) and another woman named Basemath (not one for the name books, I guess). Isaac and Rebekah didn’t get along with them. They were both Hittite women. As Tim Keller often points out, whenever there is polygamy in the Bible, things don’t go smoothly with the family as a whole.

2 comments:

  1. The older I get the less stock I put in actual organized religion. That view should not be confused with my actual faith in the Holy Trinity which has actually become stronger. I think atheists have a point when they say many so-called religious people are hypocrites because the modern church has failed on so many levels it's hard to think about (example in point: the Catholic Church abominable handling of child molestation by priests).

    What the atheists miss, though, is that it's not God who has failed here. Whether Pope or homeless we are all human with free will to do good or not. All capable of lies, deceit, and every other kind of failing, but still loved enough by the creator to be saved by the blood of Jesus.

    It's too bad that atheists cannot see the good that has come from this simple act of humility and sacrifice. I will always pray that God will open their eyes, and I hold no anger towards them; only sorrow because 'but for the grace of God go I'.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. What's sad is only the first half of Dawkins' book is based on actual arguments and science. The ENTIRE second half is about the failures of Christians. That means half of his argument against God is based on our failures. I forget who said it, but I heard someone say the single biggest failure of the Christian witness is people who talk about Christ with their lips and fail to follow him in their acts. That's why I'm not about to scare someone into following God with hell or try to get the culture to force them to behave (with Biblical laws). The last thing we need is more lukewarm Christians convincing people that the Holy Spirit must be powerless in Christians' lives.

      I definitely hold no anger toward atheists. I kind of respect them and think that they are discriminated against/unfairly demonized. Some of MY doubts come from the question, "If God is working on us, why are Christians the same as nonbelievers?" They have a point there, even if it isn't absolute proof. Still, we're all trying/can't be perfect/everyone is an equal sinner. Agree about organized religion. I don't know much about how the Catholic church handled the child molestation, but I'm sure Dawkins will enlighten me, haha.

      Delete