Wednesday, October 3, 2012

Lovers of Violence

Genesis 34-36: Dinah, Leah and Jacob’s daughter, left home to go visit some other women. In ancient days, women had little legal protection, and it was fine and normal for a woman to be raped if she was unattended. Leah and Jacob shouldn’t have let her walk around alone, especially since she had so many brothers. What happens is kind of their fault. Shechem, the area’s prince, saw Dinah, took her, and raped her. Then the Bible says his heart was drawn to Dinah and he loved her and spoke tenderly to her.

It’s funny that the Bible calls it love. Shechem said to his father, Hamor, the ruler of the area, “Get me this girl as my wife.” When Jacob heard that his daughter had been “defiled,” the Bible’s word, not mine, his sons were in the fields. Hamor went to talk with Jacob just as Jacob’s sons had come back. They were shocked and furious, because “Shechem had done an outrageous thing in Israel…a thing that should not be done.” Hamor said, “Look, my son has his heart set on Dinah. Let’s intermarry with each other. You can live in our land, trade in it, and own property there. Charge me a high bride price. I’ll give you whatever you want, just give me the woman.”

When Jacob hears the news, he doesn’t react in a way that condemns Shechem’s actions. He doesn’t get angry, and he doesn’t ask for justice. This is what happens when you sweep things like this under the rug. Someone is going to get mad and possibly go overboard. They will think, “Someone needs to do something, and I guess it’s me.” As the father and the leader, Jacob should have made the confrontations. Jacob’s sons decided to make something up to get revenge. They said, “You have to circumcise all your men first, and then we’ll do it. That’s what our people do for our God.” Shechem “lost no time in doing what they said.”

 Shechem and Hamor went back to their men and said, “Circumcise yourselves, and later Jacob’s livestock and property will probably become ours. Let’s get them to come here and settle among us.” Every male in the city agreed (that’s how greedy they were) and was circumcised. Three days later, while the men were still healing, Jacob’s sons, Simeon and Levi, attacked the city and killed every male. They looted the city and come home with all animals, property, women, children, and their sister, Dinah.

The first time I read this story, I think I read it wrong. The temptation is to think of what Jacob’s sons did as honorable, clever, and manly, but it really isn’t. Still, we have some sympathy for them because they stepped up where their father didn’t. It’s complicated. They did use the sign of God’s covenant with Israel (circumcision) for their own vengeful purposes. That’s kind of a perversion, right? Also, you’d have to be very cold to do all of this. Those are some hard hearts; the same hard hearts that will rise up against their own brother, Joseph, later. It’s also overkill (no pun intended). Only Shechem hurt Dinah.

In this society, we still think might, violence, good fighters, and “bad assness” are good traits. Are they? In some ancient cultures (like Rome), strength and pride were good things. When Christianity started spreading, it didn’t revolutionize culture right away. There were crusades and holy wars partly because that mentality of killing for your religion, family, and land were still embedded in the mind of society. That ego-driven bloodlust twisted Christianity into the version of Christianity that would most please the powerful. It took a while for us to value peace and meekness. I feel like that love of violent strength is coming back. Just look at the movies. It’s fun. Everyone loves a good action scene and admires the winner. So yeah, coming from this time and place, I was like, “Hell, yeah. Levi and Simeon are real men.” I think I was wrong. But where is the line between sin and satisfying vigilante-ism? Is there one?

 Jacob wasn’t happy. The brothers replied, “Should he have treated our sister like a prostitute.” Later in Geneis, Jacob has this to say of these two sons: “Instruments of cruelty are in their dwelling place. Let not my soul enter their council; let not my honor be united to their assembly. For in their anger, they slew a man…Cursed be their anger, for it is fierce and their wrath for it is cruel.” Jacob said, “Let them be scattered throughout Israel.” This came true. Simeon’s tribe was dissolved for a failure and became part of Judah. In Exodus, Levi was scattered for a good reason and ended up blessing Israel. So sometimes a curse turns out good?

Jacob shouldn’t have been in this area. Had he obeyed God and not feared Esau, Dinah wouldn’t have been there to be raped. Now, God told Jacob again to go to Bethel (where God had told Jacob to go in the first place). God was more receptive to the instructions this time. He realized it was time for this family to have a spiritual makeover. Jacob told everyone in his household to get rid of foreign gods/idols, purify themselves, and change their clothes. He said, “Let’s go to Bethel, where I will build an altar to God, who answered me in the day of my distress and who has been with me wherever I have gone.” So they gave Jacob all the idols and their earrings, and Jacob buried them.

When they set out, the “terror of God” fell on the towns all around them so that no one pursued them. Despite all the mistakes, God didn’t let this incident destroy this family. They arrived at their destination. There, Rebekah’s nurse, Deborah, died. They named her burial place “Oak of Weeping.” Even though Deborah was never mentioned before or after this, she must have been well loved.  God appeared to Jacob again, repeating old blessings. Jacob set up a stone pillar, poured a drink offering on it, and he also poured oil on it.

 Rachel was pregnant around that time, but her childbirth was difficult. With her last breath, she named her son Ben-Oni (meaning “son of my sorrow”), but Jacob changed the name to Benjamin (meaning “son of my right hand”). Good call, Jacob. Rachel was buried on the way to Bethlehem. Israel moved on again, and his oldest son, Reuben, slept with Bilhah, Jacob’s concubine.

I pointed out that Jesus came from Judah’s line, even though he is fourth born. Sometimes God completely disregards the tradition of favoring the oldest with the inheritance. Sometimes the oldest gives the inheritance away (like Esau did). Sometimes they show that they can’t handle it. Rueben slept with his father’s concubine, and Simeon and Levi kill a bunch of people. The next in line is Judah. That’s how it happened.

Jacob went to Isaac’s location. Isaac lived until 180. Jacob and Esau buried him. The Bible then lists Esau’s family line. His descendents are many, and a few are rulers and other wealthy men. Even though Esau didn’t get the blessing, he didn’t end up with nothing. It was the spiritual legacy he gave up. His descendants have names meanings that include “wicked” and one that incorporates the name of the popular ancient god, Baal.

12 comments:

  1. In college, I took a class that focused on sex crimes. The teacher had married a victim of spousal abuse and rape. What struck me most were the common reactions to rape victims. There are many, but can be summed up in one sentence: "She asked for it".

    While I think this cro-magnon attitude has improved over the last one hundred years the origins of it are as old as humanity itself. I think it really boils down to this: the strong dominate the weak, and when the weak refuse the strong the weak are crushed. For rape is really not about sex at all. Power is the real underlying motive.

    Your Genesis example speaks clearly to this motive. The violent reaction of Jacob's sons, I believe, was not so much out of a sense of duty to Dinah, but out of anger over the shame the rape had brought upon Israel as a whole (i.e. their honor).

    As for the violent nature of humanity don't even get me started :) Some of my favorite examples from history: Ever heard of the word "decimation"? It comes from the Roman army's disciplinary policy of killing one out of every ten men in a legion. How about Prince Vlad Tepes? Good 'ol Vlad impaled thousands of his own people on his country's border just for intimidation. Last, but not least, we have Timur. This peach of a ruler ordered the slaughter of an entire city by beheading, and made a pyramid out of the victim's heads just for spite.

    As for righteous anger I do believe that there is a time and place for it. Catholics have a Just War Doctrine which puts forth several questions that must be answered in the affirmative as to when it is morally acceptable for a country to go to war. On a smaller scale, I think such a doctrine applies to individuals, as well. Wholesale wanton slaughter is never justified, but the use of deadly force is appropriate in the defense of oneself or others.
    Vengeance, however, is reserved for the Lord.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I like that the Genesis story doesn't seem to say, "She asked for it" to Dinah. Everyone else gets most of the blame.

      I want to check out that Just War Doctrine. Sounds interesting. It's a question I've been pondering for a long time, and I've been leaning toward pacifism. However, the Bible does say there is "A Time to Kill."

      I agree with you that they did it because of shame/honor/pride and not duty to Dinah. Maybe that is part of what made their actions a sin? Motive is everything.

      Delete
  2. I'm almost caught up to you! (Yes, yes, I made a New Year's resolution to read the Old Testament and I'm still in Genesis. But I finally downloaded an audio app and have been making great progress over the past few days.) I should be able to read your next post and have it all fresh in my mind next week. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Awesome! I'm totally gonna be boring and just go straight through the whole freaking Bible. I might mix it up and go in chronological order. That would mean Job is next, I think. Job or Exodus. I have a while to decide.

      I'm even boring myself with this blog, but I haven't had much time to read religious nonfiction or get remotely inspired about individual topics.

      Delete
    2. Before this year it'd been a while since I'd read the Bible straight through, and never all in one year, and I've been following a chronological reading plan. If I recall correctly I read Job after Genesis 10 or 11. It has it's advantages, for instance I loved reading through Samuel and the applicable sections of Psalms together, as reading about David fleeing for his life along with a few psalms of his pleading with God for protection gave new light for me on those passages. Also with the prophets it helped give me a better idea of the timeline. On the other hand around the time of 1 & 2 Chronicles I got really bogged down with the repetition, as I sometimes read an event basically 2 or 3 times, usually all together on the same day. Additionally it'll likely be a long time before I read the Bible chronologically or sequentially again, as I've only just started the NT this month, and that's way too long for me to not be reading the gospels, epistles etc.

      On the topic of war I've got not much to add, aside from it reminding me of a Bonhoeffer biography I read a few months back. This was a German pastor, firm in his faith, during the second world war. Due to his connections, he fully knew about many of the atrocities of the war, even when many of his fellow countrymen were ignorant or too caught up in patriotism, or felt it was their duty as citizens and christians to follow their leader. Even in this situation he really struggled in prayer as to whether he should fight (for his country) or not, ultimately deciding not to, and even getting involved with an assassination attempt on Hitler. Yet at the same time he didn't condemn or try to influence his fellow countrymen one way or another, realising that the choice that was right for him may not be for the next one along whether they were Christian or not, indeed he had close friends and family fighting in the thick of it. This is my long-winded attempt to say that even in the darkest wars the situation isn't clear cut, and I can only hope that if I ever had to go to war I'd turn even a fraction of the amount he did towards prayer and not just rely on my instincts one way or another.

      Delete
    3. Ooooh, see, I was thinking of just putting the BOOKS in approximate chronological order. It would be way better to start doing it by chapter, especially wit the Psalms like you said... Do you have a link to a chronological reading plan, or do I have to find one myself?

      I just watched a Bonhoeffer documentary because my dad didn't know who he was, and I had to fix that. I'm really interested in Germany and the German language/history. I like your thoughts on the matter. He's good example because he was a pacifist who decided to get in the plot to kill Hitler.

      I ended up liking the Catholic thoughts on it. It was two parts. The first was when you should fight (and it boiled down to in defense of self and others with sufficient evidence) and the second was proper conduct during war.

      Delete
    4. I've been using one that came with the Bible app on my phone. No idea of the group behind it, or it's accuracy, but was good enough for my needs. I think it's this one here: http://www.blueletterbible.org/reader/daily/#plan4

      I knew nearly nothing about Bonhoeffer before reading his biography, but the book looked interesting and similarly I've got some interest in Germany so I decided to blindly get it and was well rewarded by it. A couple books down the track I'll be reading his book Discipleship, thought I should rectify the fact that I'd read about him but not from him. I should really check out this Catholic doctrine.

      Delete
    5. You're like my favorite person right now.

      Delete
  3. I haven't looked too much into it but from two different accounts during some reading online this story could be more disturbing than it initially appears, with Dinah's age possibly being as young as 7 to 9 at the time. This also would mean that Simeon and Levi would be 11/12 or 13/14 during the story.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh man, that's so sad. It's very possible. Gross. In love with an 8 year old. Gross.

      Delete